Tuesday, November 18, 2008

#9 Managing Your Time

I have often heard people say that if they were to work at home, they wouldn't get anything done. There can be a lot of distractions, and creating a strict schedule can be hard.
I have worked at home for many years, and yes, I have had challenges. Especially when there were 4 kids running around the house.

The trick is, to find what times of the day that work best for you to create. These should be times when you have the space and quiet to really get into your work, without distractions. When the kids were in school, I had all day to do my work. I work best in the mornings, but many artists love working late at night.

If you can create a "work schedule" as if you were working outside the home, and let people know that these are the hours you are busy (and they respect that), then you really can get a lot done.

I even give myself a regular lunch break, which usually involves checking my e-mail and other mail.

When my children were teenagers, they would sometimes help me with some of my projects. This would give them a little spending money. I also designated one day a week when it was each of their night to cook dinner. It was good for them to learn how to cook, and gave me some extra time to spend with my family. My children also helped in maintaining the house...doing laundry, mowing the lawn, cleaning and other chores.

Time to me is the most valuable thing we have, and managing your time wisely can help things go smoothly and relieve tension in the home.

No comments: